Saturday, September 12, 2009

Second is the First Loser

Throughout the wedding process, Bryan and I have become more and more excited for the big day. As it creeps closer, we anticipate walking down the aisle and becoming man and wife more than ever. During the process, though, I have learned what it must feel like to be a middle child. Bryan and I have definitely felt the effects of coming in second to many other events. Many of our friends have already gotten married and done the whole wedding thing, Bryan's brother got married in July, Ohio State Football has started, and one of my cousins is getting married the weekend before us. It is hard not to feel like our wedding and marriage comes second to all these events. The easy thing to do is get upset, feel like no one cares, convince yourself that you are the first loser behind bigger and better celebrations. But I have decided to rebel against those thoughts. There are many people who couldn't be more excited about our wedding, including Bryan and myself! My friends have been so supportive, helpful, and loving but how easily I am distracted from those who truly care about us! It becomes so simple to focus on the few events or people that seem to not understand how immense and life changing our wedding is. Instead I choose to focus on those who are excited and those who love us. I accept that there will always be other things going on in the world, but that it's okay to focus on us for awhile. I've said it before and I'll say it again, I couldn't be more excited about being the new Mrs. Bryan Pietch so, I will focus on that and not on a few minor disappointments along the way. Of course, few people outside of our parents care about the wedding as much as Bryan and I, which is fine. I simply want to focus on the bliss that the wedding and marriage are soon to bring. But I will leave you with this thought: Weddings, showers, marriage, any events that go with weddings are A BIG DEAL! and shouldn't be taken lightly. I know I am guilty of not treating these events with the proper excitement and respect, but I am resolved to change! Everyone deserves excitement and commitment on their big day and I will certainly do my best to give that to my friends. Best wishes on this glorious day the Lord has made! Let us rejoice and be glad in it!

2 comments:

  1. You go girl! Wish you the best in the days ahead! Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey its Beth!! I understand exactly where you are coming from when you say that you feel like your wedding is coming in second to other events. Especially in July, it did. Jeremy's wedding came first to pretty much everyone in the family. Everyone has that feeling that you come in second. You and Bryan did it to me Saturday after the couples shower when you were talking about how many plane trips you were going to have to make back to Cincy in May once you move and my college graduation wasn't even mentioned. That made me feel like my day is unimportant to everybody, but me. And when I brought it up, you and Bryan asked if it was the same day as a friend's wedding. That hurt even more because a friend's wedding was taking precident over a family member's celebration. Anyways, I hope that the family has not made you or Bryan feel like your wedding is not important. That is not true. We are thrilled to add another Pietch to the family and celebrate on the 17th!

    ReplyDelete